Wednesday 10 April 2019

Lent Reflections Week 2: Courage

Courage comes from an old French word meaning heart.
For me, courage is about following your heart, even when your head is scared to do so.
When my Grandad died in August 2015, aged 95, my Mum had the courage not only to ask me to lead the funeral, but also to write and read her own tribute. My sister had the courage to write and read the eulogy. My second cousin had the courage to read a poem. Every word in that funeral was spoken by a family member. Every word was spoken by a person whose head was frightened of speaking in public and whose heart was full of grief for a man who had loved and cared for us all for so long. As children my sister and I nicknamed him 'funny Grandad' because of his quick wit and his dry sense of humour.
When Mum first asked me to take the funeral I wanted to say no. I was worried I would break down in the service and not be able to carry on. My family all encouraged me. I didn't say no. My heart said yes. As I stepped up to the lectern my knees knocked and my hands shook. But I didn't break down until the very end, when I put my hand on Grandad's coffin and said my own private goodbye.
As we were leaving the chapel, the funeral director said to me that it was the most moving and personal funeral she had ever witnessed.
May you follow your heart


No comments:

Post a Comment

Rising in Love: An Easter Reflection

 “And when the Sabbath was past, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought spices, so that they might go and anoint h...